Saturday, December 12, 2009

Finally Friday




Today was the last day of the first week at BC. So crowded, and so many people!
It was also a perfect day to do all 'actions'. Youth organizations gathered around and invited other youth groups to join them in a short group gathering protest. This could be done by either shouting out slogans, singing songs, listening to songs. But today there was a special one that most of the youth organizations (if not all) participated in. The Action event was under the title of 'don't freeze the deal' and what happened was the following. Youth were "randomly" walking down the corridor when suddenly some balloons pop and all these young people FREEZE in their grounds! They don't move a muscle for 350 seconds. Now is that a weird seane,or what? The number 350 signifies the need to lower the Carbon parts/million in the atmosphere to 350 (it is now 390 ppm. I participated too in the event, but I can say that my arm hurt me just a bit after going back to normal [I froze as opening my mouth weirdly and pointing at Margaretha in disbelief].




Another action took place concerning the melting of the ice glaciers. Also, throughout the day, many interviews/conferences/side events take place. I attended a little press release about how the small islands near New Zealand are suffering the consequences of climate change. The speaker also share with us a typical dance from her region! Very nice, I must say!
As I was passing randomly in the corridor I bumped into a guy, and instead of just turning around, I decided to smile to him. Well, he turned out to be a know journalist from Norway and decided that he wanted to make an interview with me. Well, yes certainly! I told him all about guiding and WAGGGS and how we are fighting climate change.
Also, I met the head of transportation minister (if I am not mistaken) of Irak. It was quite enjoyable to open a conversation with him and he was eager to learn more about guiding and scouting! Unexpectedly cool!
We also saw some neatly done ice sculptures representing how some nations will disappear if the climate change continues and sea level rises to eliminate the existance of some people.




hmmm, what else did we do today?
Well, it was our patrol's turn to cook dinner to everyone. So, Mirna and I did something very smart. We went to Netto (supermarket) and bought frozen pizzas. Came home, heated the oven and made 2 sallads and VOILA, dinner is served! We also had a cake for desert because it is Petinas Birthday Today! =)
After the evening's debreif, we went out and walked in the lovely streets of Copenhagen. We took the /bus boad/ from the Opera house to the Queen's house and then made a walk in centrum. There was an exhibition on the street of photographs of places from all around the world of "What are the 100 places you MUST VISIT before 2050 incase nothing is done about climate change". Among those 100 photos was a photo of the 'Cedars of God in Lebanon' (wohoo!)
Now, we are back home and it is almost 3 am. Tomorrow we were promiced pankakes for breakfast! yeey!

No comments:

Post a Comment